Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cognitivism in Practice

Using cognitive learning theories helps students remember and build better long term memory. Through the text Using Technology with Classroom Instruction the Works I have developed new strategies and increased my knowledge on current strtegies that I use that will help me create better instructional plans that will lead to better information retention.
 
One strategy that I use frequently and plan to continue to implement in my classroom are advanced organizeres (such as K-W-L charts). I use this type of chart and other similar organizers to help open prior knowledge which helps students make connections. It also helps students realize what they want to learn about the topic which sparks excitement and interest in the topic prior to missing learning. 
 
I also developed interest in using spreadsheets and other brainstorming software to help create more advanced organizers which can also help students create a deeper understanding of the information.
 
All in all, I believe that it is important for us, as teachers, to create experiences through technology that will help our students to retain the information. When they are engaged, which is more often achieved through interactive activities, students are more likely to acquire and integrate learning.
 
References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    I definitely incorporate K-W-L charts and advance organizers in the three subjects that I teach. One thing I really love to do with vocabulary is What I think, What it is, and How It Looks. This three column chart is an incredible use of identifying prior knowledge if it exists, connecting it to what it is, and providing a visual representation of the word. Not only is this great with regular education learners but it is valuable to Special Education students and ESL (English as a Second Language) students. The visual representation and connection to the textual representation is a direct example of Paivio's Dual Coding that we learned about this week.

    Once students make these connections with the vocabulary, I like to play the Pyramid game with them. In the various sections of the pyramid I may use a visual representation or a textual representation.

    Great insights!
    -Jenn Schreiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the use of K-W-L charts can provide a way to look in advance and reflect after the lesson. There are many type of graphic organizers that can be used and I think we should show our students several of them so they can choose what works best for them.
    I agree, great insights
    Scott parks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,
      There are definitely many different kinds of charts. Do you use any one in particular or more often than others?

      Nicole

      Delete
    2. I am not an expert but I personally like flow charts to show the steps for solving math problems. I also like bubble maps just from the way they look.

      Delete
  3. Nicole,

    I have to be honest, I do not typically use K-W-L charts. I do agree with you that they definitely make students more aware of what they know and what they want to know. I think it also makes students more interested as well. I tend to focus more on the advanced graphic organizers. The third grade team has really started to focus on developing note taking skills so that students can realize important information. I use concept maps frequently in my classroom to model how to take notes and for students to practice taking notes. We have been working on it throughout the year and I think my students have come a long way since the beginning of the year. I am excited to see where they are by the end of the year. I have a couple of projects planned where they will be responsible for completing concept maps while researching topics. Are there certian types of graphic organizers that you prefer to use with your students? Have you completed any concept maps with your students?

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      I have thought about beginning to teach and integrate more note taking skills in my class and I think that your comments and thoughts have inspired me to do so. Realizing important details is definitely an important skill. We do use graphic organizers and concept maps frequently, especially when discussing story structure and summarizing. I look forward to using your ideas with my students.
      Thanks,
      Nicole

      Delete