Thursday, January 26, 2012

Constructivism in Practice

This week, we reviewed constructivism and constructinism learning. I believe that in order to successfully apply constrinism practices, you must have proper constructivist learning theories in place. The two theories are very similiar, although, in my opinion, are more correlative and should be applied together. Constructionism deals with the students use of knowledge in order to create some type of project whereas constructivism plays a bigger role in the retention of student knowledge. (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).

Students can use technology as a tool for organizing and building data bases. This type of information organization plays a vital role in constructivist theories. The use of technolgy can enhace the lesson and provide students with a greater learning opportunity. Students are able to use the information in their schema to develop new ideas and create projects.

In my classroom, I believe that I am continously applying different learning theories in order to assist my students learning. By using these theories in conjunction with each other, it prepares my students with a better foundation of proven learning theories.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program seven: Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M. & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works.  Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    I find I am always changing my approach in the classroom. It takes blending different theories to reach the variety of students we teach. Have you tried project-based learning? I'm not sure what subject you teach but readwritethink.org is a great site with many creative projects centered around project or problem based learning. Even if you don't teach language arts, there are many cross-curricular lessons there. You might also check Thinkfinity.com. It's an education search engine that has something for everyone!

    Good post!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you explain the difference between Constructivism and constructionism. I think constructivism has to do with what they already know or have seen. Constructionism has to do with what they build and create. Constructivism is past and constructionism is future.
    I also think that it is important to try different stategies or apply different learning theories.
    thank You
    Scott

    ReplyDelete